Monday, September 9, 2013

Chicks!

 
This spring, when we got a handful of new chickens, I knew that a few of the breeds were known to go broody. I was hoping that they would too! Nothing happened in the spring...or all summer...until now! My splash marans bit the bullet and started setting. We've now got 3 chicks- 2 welsummer x chantelcer and one welsummer x marans. They are awfully cute, and it was really neat to watch the process- seeing them hatch and grow has been a great experience.







 
 




I know it's not fall yet, but it sure feels like it! It was 37 degrees when I woke up this morning! I've got pickles and pickled beets made...finally, and some green beans frozen. My garden was a bit of a mess this year, but you know, it's ok. The chickens have enjoyed the overgrown chard and the lettuce that went to seed, and I've had a fair amount of fresh produce, plus some red potatoes to store for a bit.

We did make a trip to Cobscook Bay State Park before the end of the summer- I'll post some of those photos later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I want that cute little kitty that you found. So cute. I have a blog called the wednesdaybaker.blogspot.com and I am a Farmingdale girl long ago. Graduated from Hall-Dale high school many moons ago. Currently live outside of Portland Andi

    ReplyDelete