Monday, August 12, 2013

August

August is always one of my favorite months. It seems to be warm and kind. The air seems to dry out a bit, and plenty of things are ready for eating from the garden. It's also our anniversary month ( 8 years this year!) and Joe and I both have the same week off for vacation. Lots of things have been going on- the summer is flying! I ran my first 5k in july...lots of hills, and it was super hot and humid, but I still finished in about 31 minutes, next year I think I will choose a 5k with a flatter course!


Dragoflies everywhere!
 
 
reason for the dragonfly swarm...



This year's garden is a mess. Yes, there are some vegetables in there, but really it's a tangle of grass, weeds and things that have bolted quickly. At one point, I attempted to gain control, but the weather and my busy schedule eventually won out, and now the garden is slightly embarrassing. Corn is tall, almost ready to pick- I am worried though, when I squeeze the ears, they don't feel full. Also, this has been my worst year for potatoes. Japanese beetles did a number on them, and starting out, because I waited a little longer than usual, I was not impressed with the seed potatoes I got. I've started digging them, and my yield is much smaller than at this time last year. I've got lots of green beans and cucumbers though! I need to start blanching and freezing beans, and I need to make a batch of pickles asap!










Chickens are doing well. No more predator issues at this point, thank goodness. We have one who has decided to go broody- I had a feeling it might happen. Luna the splash marans is setting on 7 eggs. There were 3 under her, but I figured I should shove a few more under there- we will see what happens, not sure our fertility is as high as it was with one of the old rooster, but I'm sure a few of the eggs should be fertile that I stuck under her.

 
 

 
 
 
 
We fostered a kitten this summer. We heard him crying outside of our house for 2 nights, and finally caught him. We decided it was not the right time for us to have another cat, but volunteered to foster him for the local shelter until he was big enough to be adopted. Poor little guy was under 2 pounds when we found him! He was sweet and so adorable. A friend of a friend ended up adopting him, so everything turned out ok in the end. The day before I brought him back to the shelter I heard and saw another kitten in the woods- we were not able to catch that one. I don't know if a cat had a litter out there somewhere, or if someone was dumping them because we live in a rural area. I am just glad we were able to help this one little guy!




It's sad to say, but "summer" will be over in about 3 weeks. Joe will be starting his new job at a new school, and I was be starting my last year of classes. It should be an exciting and busy year, but I've got to try to shove a whole summer into these next 3 weeks! I need beach trips, hiking, relaxing, camping....we will be heading to Cobscook bay the weekend after next for sure, but I better get planning if I want to get everything else in!

No comments:

Post a Comment